Numbers might quantify results, but they don’t tell the story. We at United Group Services feel our safety story is much greater than mere statistics. Simply stated, our safety philosophy focuses on individual empowerment. After all, safety comes down to the individual. At United, we take the T.E.A.M. approach to developing a complete culture of safety.
- Train: Your training journey at United begin as the moment you’re hired. Certified Safety professionals lead a live mandatory orientation for each new employee, assisted by an impassioned “call to action” from the CEO or CVO. As that point, the standards and expectations are clearly demarcated with a clearly defined path to safety perfection.
- Empower: Each person is empowered through contract and commitment to be a “Leader of One,” whereby they set an example through their every action. Every United employee must accept the responsibility to own their safety and the safety of others at their work sites. Through “SAC It” ( Stop, Ask and Confirm), each person is authorized to stop work whenever necessary to ensure that safety protocols are followed.
- Accountable: Each person is held accountable for their effectiveness, involvement and impact on the safety culture. That includes “on the spot” rewards that encourage good behavior and a proactive approach to safety.
- Measure: Knowledge, Power and Accountability don’t mean as much without the continual analysis of results for making adjustments and improvements. All results are measured and reviewed at least monthly and lessons are shared with all.
“A true Safe workplace requires the focus of each person in that environment, committed to the common goal, willing to act and choosing to make an impact every moment of every day.”Dan Freese CEO, United Group Services
Safety Programs & Certifications
When it comes to safety, we cover all the bases:
- Our Industry leading Suicide Prevention Program recognizes the importance of Total Employee Health.
- Our Safety Department holds OSHA 500 and 510 and can train and certify UGS and client employees on OSHA 10 and OSHA 30.
- All UGS foremen are required to have OSHA 30-hour training and First Aid/CPR/AED/BBP.
- All onsite construction team members are required to have their OSHA 10-hour training, at a minimum.
- Core Value-based toolbox talks are held three times daily.
- Leading indicators are used for risk assessment (JSSI database, near-miss data).
- Our Corporate Medical Director (MD) provides 24/7 virtual medical care to our entire workforce.
Health and Wellness are the ultimate rewards for an unrelenting commitment to safe workspaces. The following designations and recognitions provide proof of our team’s dedication to industry-leading standards of safety performance:
• 2005 UGS was the first industrial/mechanical contractor in the U.S. to achieve OSHA-VPP STAR status
• 2015, 2014 and 2013 STEP Platinum Award – Associated Builders and Contractors
• 2015 Safe Employer of the Year – Associated Builders and Contractors/Ohio Valley Chapter/Mid-America OTI
• 2016 Community Service and Outreach Award – Associated Builders and Contractors/Ohio Valley Chapter
• 2017, 2016 and 2014 STEP Level V Safety Award – Associated Builders and Contractors/Ohio Valley Chapter
• 2018, 2016, and 2013 Safety Excellence Award – Air Products
• 2020 and 2015 National Safety Excellence Award – Associated Builders and Contractors
• 2020 and 2015 Construction Industry Safety Excellence (CISE) Award – Construction Users Roundtable
• 2020 and 2016 Runner-up Safe Employer of the Year Award – Associated Builders and Contractors/Ohio Valley Chapter/Mid-America OTI
• 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 STEP Diamond Award for Safety Excellence – Associated Builders and Contractors/Ohio Valley Chapter
• 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015 Certified Accredited Quality Contractor Award – Associated Builders and Contractors
• 2022 Contractor of the Year – Associated Builders and Contractors
• 2022 Pinnacle Safety Award – Associated Builders and Contractors